SMOKE ALARMS SAVE LIVES
The Arlington Fire Department would like to remind everyone to keep a working smoke alarm on every level of their home to provide early warning to any occupants of smoke in the structure. Below are some tips from the National Fire Protection Association.
Smoke Alarm Installation Tips: A successful installation involves making sure that alarms are installed correctly and in the right locations.
• Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of the home, including the basement. Larger homes may require additional smoke alarms to provide a minimum level of protection.
• For the best protection, interconnect all smoke alarms, so when one sounds, they all sound.
• If someone in the home has profound hearing loss, install alarms with high intensity strobe lights. Vibration equipment is required and is activated by the sound of the alarm
• If someone in the home is hard of hearing, a complex, low-frequency audible signal works best. A separate device that is activated by the sound of the alarm is available.
• Mount smoke alarms high on walls or ceilings (remember, smoke rises).
• If you have ceilings that are pitched, install the alarm near the ceiling’s highest point.
• Don’t install smoke alarms near windows, doors, or ducts where drafts might interfere with their operation.
• Smoke alarms should not be installed in attics, bathrooms, or garages.
• Install smoke alarms away from the kitchen to prevent false alarms. Generally, they should be at least 10 feet from a cooking appliance
• Once you have installed your smoke alarm, be sure to check your alarm monthly and change the battery periodically
Free Smoke Alarm Application
If you cannot afford a smoke alarm, we will install one free of charge in your home. Drop by your nearest Arlington Fire Station and complete an application or complete online by submitting your information below.
If you have any questions about your smoke alarm or need it checked please call the Arlington Fire Department at 901-867-8905.