Call 1-800-QUIT-NOWexternal icon (1-800-784-8669) if you want help quitting. This is a free telephone support service that can help people who want to stop smoking or using tobacco. Callers are routed to their state quitlines, which offer several types of quit information and services. These may include:
- Free support, advice, and counseling from experienced quitline coaches
- A personalized quit plan
- Practical information on how to quit, including ways to cope with nicotine withdrawal
- The latest information about stop-smoking medications
- Free or discounted medications (available for at least some callers in most states)
- Referrals to other resources
- Mailed self-help materials
Get free help online, too.
- For information on quitting, go to the Quit Smoking Resources page on CDC’s Smoking & Tobacco Use Web site.
- Read inspiring stories about former smokers and their reasons for quitting at CDC’s Tips From Former Smokers Web site.
- The I’m Ready to Quit! page links to many helpful resources.
Visit CDC’s Online Publications Catalog to order free copies of materials about quitting as well as helpful resources about tobacco use prevention.